Enjoy Des Moines with your family and friends this Thanksgiving break. Check out these ideas for home-grown fun, and don’t forget to call ahead to ensure venues are open! Here are 10 fun things to do in Des Moines over Thanksgiving.
- Get moving at the Turkey (or Tot) Trot in downtown Des Moines on Thanksgiving Day.
- Head outdoors with your family to explore nature. State and county (Dallas, Polk, Warren) parks will be open all week, including Thursday.
- Delight in Blank Children’s Hospital Festival of Trees and Light,November 25th – 29th, at Veteran’s Memorial Community Choice Credit Union Convention Center. Admission is $5 and there are events and activities for kids.
- Take in a holiday performance of “The Thanksgiving Visitor” November 25th-29th at the Kum and Go Theater at the Des Moines Social Club presented by the Repertory Theater of Iowa.
- Support Small Business Saturday. Head to Historic Valley Junction where they are giving away reusable bags filled with goodies! Some will have special prizes, such as JunctionWear, Gift Certificates and more!
- Explore the history of Iowa on a Museum Trek on Saturday, November 28th. The State of Iowa Historical Museum will be closed Thursday and Friday, but will be open on Saturday and on Sunday.
- Enjoy the Spirit of the Season kick-off event at the Science Center of Iowa on November 28th. There will be a tree lighting ceremony, $5 IMAX tickets for The Polar Express and outdoor fireworks to end the evening. From 5:00-8:00 pm, admission is FREE to the public!
- Celebrate everything princess at Disney on Ice: Dare to Dream throughout the weekend at Wells Fargo Arena.
- Let the kids burn off some energy at Monkey Joe’s in West Des Moines or The Playground for Kids in Ankeny.
- Donate your time, talents or treasure to a charitable organization serving those in need. Click here for local nonprofits your family can help. Call ahead to ensure the volunteer opportunities listed are still available before you head out.
How will you be spending your Thanksgiving weekend in Des Moines?