West Des Moines. It may not be as cool or hip as its urban neighbor Des Moines, but it is a family-friendly suburban mecca. So there’s that. But none of that matters to kids who just know it as chock full of playgrounds, parks, fun attractions and shopping and dining at almost any chain or big box store you can think of. Here are 12 signs that you’ve got a West Des Moines kid on your hands.
1. Your weekends inevitably revolve around soccer (baseball, swimming, dance……)
Kids in West Des Moines stay busy participating in all kinds of organized sports, arts and other activities.
2. Friday is pizza night at your house.
3. One of your daily dilemmas is picking which park to play at.
It’s hard to decide which of the City’s 26 parks you feel like swinging at today.
4. You assume that any grown-up at the park under the age of 30 has to be the babysitter.
Just say’n :).
5. You prefer Under Armour to Nike or Justice to Gymboree.
6. Kale, fresh fruit and veggies are staples in your house.
7. You wouldn’t miss Illumifest.
Every fall you look forward to “lighting up” West Des Moines at Illumifest. You especially love decorating your own lantern, bouncing on the inflatables, playing games and hanging out with princesses.
8. Your first hike was through Brown’s Woods.
Iowa’s largest urban forest preserve, Brown’s Woods, offers more than four miles of trails to explore. You love collecting twigs, nuts and leaves and scouting for wildlife here.
9. One of your favorite indoor play places is Valley Community Center.
If it’s too hot outside, your mom takes you to Valley Community Center. If it’s too cold outside, your mom takes you to…Valley Community Center.
10. You’re a cupcake connoisseur.
11. You’re always planning your next big adventure.
12. You’re a Menace!
You are a rare breed…a soccer fan! The Des Moines Menace men’s and women’s soccer play at Valley Stadium. They kick off their seasons on May 11th and 27th respectively.
What did we miss? Share your West Des Moines kid-isms in a comment below!