Life as a kid is “Unique” in Urbandale. The great parks and trails! Multiple School Districts! Having no boundaries!!! If you live there — or are considering it — you already know how awesome Urbandale is for families. Read on for 14 signs you’re a kid in this blooming ‘burb. Do you relate to them?
1. You can jump on a bike trail out your back door or you think the local park is part of your backyard.
The City of Urbandale boasts an extensive trail system with over 54 miles of trails. They City also has 48 parks that offer outdoor recreational opportunities on almost every corner.
2. Every other birthday party you attend is at Pump It Up.
With their low prices and invite everyone you know mentality, Pump It Up, makes kids’ birthday parties simple and stress-free. And, everyone is happy! The birthday kiddo gets to run around, bounce, play games and have fun with their friends. Mom and dad can sit back and relax knowing they don’t have to clean up!
3. Your home is in Urbandale, your school’s address is Clive and it’s part of the Waukee School District.
With the City’s westward expansion a large portion of Urbandale kids attend school in the Waukee School District.
4. You don’t leave town on the 4th of July.
They know how to celebrate ‘Merica in Urbandale. The City is home to one of the largest 4th of July celebrations in the area. It’s a multiple day, family-friendly event with a street dance, carnival rides, a two-mile long parade and fireworks.
5. You’ve ice skated or played hockey at Metro Ice Sports.
Urbandale is home to the only indoor public skating rink in the Des Moines metro. You’ve either attended a public skate, been invited to a birthday party or played hockey at Metro Ice Sports at least once.
6. You’ve been on a field trip to Living History Farms.
May through October, throngs of kids are herded through the farm sites at Living History Farms.Whether it’s a school field trip, summer camp or a preschool outing, odds are, if you’re an Urbandale kid, this local historic farm attraction will be on a field trip itinerary at some point.
7. Your bestie next door goes to a different school than you do.
There are six public school districts that lie within Urbandale’s city limits. Des Moines Christian School is also located in Urbandale and many kids attend other private schools in the Des Moines area or are home-schooled.
8. You think “farming” is riding in a wagon, pulled by a tractor, around the parking lot at The Machine Shed.
It’s not just dinner, but an outing. The Machine Shed in Urbandale is not only a great place to eat, but it also hosts various events and activities for the whole family. You can count on getting a traditional Iowa meal, made from scratch with fresh ingredients, AND some wholesome family-friendly entertainment.
9. You get the wiggles out at one of the best parks in the metro – Walker Johnston Park.
If you’re an Urbandale kid, you’ve more than likely played at Walker Johnston Park. From its skate park, to the climbing tower, to the playground in the trees, this awesome park literally has something for everybody. Walker Johnston Park hosts many structured events at the baseball/softball fields, soccer area and tennis courts. Picnic tables are plentiful, making it an ideal lunch spot on a sunny day.
10. You love getting a hot chocolate after Story Time at the Urbandale Public Library.
Urbandale Tots’ To Dos: Listen to great stories, check. Make an adorable craft, check. Drink some hot chocolate, check. All can be completed at the Urbandale Public Library.
11. You plan your weekends around Des Moines Buccaneers Hockey Games.
The Des Moines Buccaneers are a tier 1 junior ice hockey team in the United States Hockey League. They play all their home games at Buccaneer Arena, which is located in Urbandale.
12. You’ve enjoyed many an after school snack at Yo2Go.
Yo2Go is a self-serve frozen yogurt haven. Their yogurt is fat free, kosher and straight from the dairy. It’s a locally owned shop, where they flavor their own yogurt and it’s the only one in town!
13. Forget about the drive-in, you watch outdoor movies in the park.
Urbandale Community Action Network hosts summer “Movies in the Park”. Kids like watching the FREE outdoor movies and they love snarfing down the FREE popcorn and snow cones even more.
14. You swim at the same indoor pool where your parents swam.
The Urbandale Public Pool, the only indoor public swimming pool in the metro, is celebrating its 40th year this year.
What do YOU think is a sign of being a kid in Urbandale? Share it in the Comments below!