It’s finally springtime in Des Moines! The trees are budding, flowers are starting to bloom, birds are chirping, and the grass is green. It’s a great time to get out and enjoy the Metro’s great parks and enjoy some family fun in the great outdoors again… so what’s to love about spring in Des Moines?
Here’s 15 Reasons to Love Spring in Des Moines
- Des Moines offers so many terrific parks, it’s fun to explore! Some of our favs to visit this time of year are… Ewing Park with the Lilac Arboretum and Children’s Forest; MacRae Park for its scenic views; John & Mary Pappajohn Sculpture Park for the great photo ops and my daughter keeps asking me when we can go to Cowles Commons to run through the fountains again?!? To find even more parks visit Des Moines Area Parks & Recreation Departments Offer Low Cost Family Fun.
- The sun will come out tomorrow! The show stopping musical Annie returns to the Civic Center Stage on April 15-17, 2016 and my daughter and I are SO excited!!! Sigh, if only I could find my Avon locket!
- Young artists showcase their talents! Spring is recital time and young singers, dancers and musicians will exhibit their talents at performances all across the Metro. Heartland Youth Choir presents its spring World Songs Concert at Drake University’s Sheshlow Auditorium on May 1, 2016.
- Flowers are blooming!Brenton Arboretum, Reiman Gardens and Clare & Miles Mills Rose Garden are just a few of our favorite places to enjoy spring’s blooms. Discover Des Moines’ local gardens in our article Nature’s Beauty on Display at 12 Central Iowa Gardens.
- The Barnstormers have landed at the Well! The Iowa Barnstormer’s have kicked off their 2016 season. Season Tickets are currently on sale and kids can join their Kids Club for $25. Here’s our Tips 4 Family Fun at an Iowa Barnstormers Game.
- It’s Fiesta time! Celebrate Cinco de Mayo at a lively and colorful festival in Valley Junction on May 7, 2016.
- You can go for a walk AND raise money for life-changing research! The JDRF One Walk steps out at the Fairgrounds on May 14th. Take a springtime stroll with a committed community that is passionate about doing whatever it takes to turn Type One Diabetes into Type None.
- It’s picnic weather! There is something special about having a picnic and springtime is a great time to gather the fam and have one. To keep it easy breezy, pick up the sammies at one of these 5 Family Friendly Sandwich Shops in Des Moines.
- The Blank Park Zoo is better than ever! We’re big fans of the African Exhibit and love to watch Ayana and Kiano, the resident black rhinos, solemnly saunter about.The Zoo just keeps getting better and Members can make it a great repeated outing for the family. Here are a few Tips 4 a Family Fun Day at Blank Park Zoo.
- It’s time for Kite Flying! Spring is a great time to visit a local park to fly kites, but to really enjoy them in all their glory, make it an annual tradition to attend Kites on the Green, Johnston’s annual kite fest.
- Local farmsteads open for the season! Picket Fence Creamery hosts Sample Sundays March through December. The farm opens its gates and offers up FREE local food samples, as well as, concessions like homemade pie and ice cream. Kids can visit the cows and calves and participate in fun activities while the whole family enjoys some live music. For additional farms to visit check out our article Get Down on the Farm in Central Iowa.
- It’s the season of homegrown goodness! Whether that means visiting a local farmers’ market in Des Moines, lunch at a local restaurant that specializes in serving farm-fresh local food or participating in a local CSA, spring is the beginning of fresh fruits and veggies for the whole family to enjoy.
- You can let the good times roll! Now that spring is here, skateboarders can try out all those sick moves they’ve been dreaming about all winter. Here’s 6 Rad Skate Parks where kids can work on their nosegrinds and fakies in Des Moines.
- It is time for some great Fishing! Fishing makes for a great spring outdoor family outing and there are several local lakes and ponds perfect for fishing in the Des Moines area.
- April is a GREAT time to live in Des Moines! With the Harlem Globetrotters, Drake Relays, live shows, and more… our Kid n’ Play in Des Moines – April 2016 article is jam packed with family fun!
So, what do YOU love most about spring in Des Moines? Let us know!