It’s that time of year when all of the big summer blockbusters are in the theaters and the kids are asking to go to a movie every other day. We enjoy going to the movies as a family and love catching the latest flick when we can. We recently went to Inside Out and by the time we bought four tickets, popcorn and drinks, a whopping $60 bucks was drained from the old bank account. Ouch! So, that got me to thinking about how we can save money going to the movies. With a little research and a little planning it is possible to lower the cost of a movie. Here is 15 ways for families to save money at the movies.
- Join the theater’s reward program. Rewards programs provide special offers and credit towards FREE movies and snacks.
- Follow your favorite theater on social media. Many theaters post discounts on their Facebook page and other social media outlets.
- Go to a daytime screening or matinee. Head to the theater before 5:00 pm and you’ll find ticket prices much cheaper than a weekend night ticket.
- Go to the movies on Tuesdays. Both AMC and Cinemark Theaters offer Tuesday ticket discounts. Check websites for participating theaters. Fridley Theatres offer a FREE 46 oz. popcorn every Tuesday with each paid admission.
- Attend a FREE Outdoor Summer Movie. Several area communities and organizations show outdoor movies during the summer months and most of the movies are pretty recent.
- Buy Tickets at the Box Office. Yes, it’s more convenient to buy on-line and you’re guaranteed a seat, but you’re also paying for that convenience with an added fee.
- Catch a second run movie. If you don’t mind seeing a movie after it’s been in the theaters awhile you can catch a late run movie, which are usually discounted. Flix Brewhouse regularly shows second runs. Check their events tab to find out what they’re currently showing.
- Purchase Cinemark tickets with your AAA membership. Your AAA Membership Card saves you 50 cents per movie ticket. Tickets can be purchased through AAA on-line or at your local branch office.
- Purchase tickets with your membership club. Like everything else at Costco and Sam’s Club you do have to buy movie tickets in bulk. Cinemark Theatres Platinum Supersaver Movie E-Tickets 4-Pack currently cost $33.99 at Costco. You can also purchase six and ten packs. Present the e-ticket at any Cinemark box office nationwide for any movie any time.
- Show your ID and save. Many area movie theaters offer discounts to students, military personnel and seniors. You can receive a discount by just showing your ID.
- Take advantage of a theater’s summer movie program. Refer to our post Cheap Summer Movies 4 Kids in Des Moines to find participating theaters.
- Check with your employer. Some companies purchase movie tickets in bulk and then sell them to their employees at a discount. Be sure to check to see if your company is one that does.
- Look for movie tickets on discount and coupon sites. Sites like Fandango, DealFlicks, Groupon, Living Social and others offer discounted movie tickets.
- Share snacks. We buy a large popcorn and then divide it up for everyone in their own bag. You can use Ziplocs or I buy cute popcorn bags at the Dollar Tree and tote them along in my purse.
- Purchase the “big tub” at the beginning of the year. Many area theater chains offer a large plastic tub for popcorn. You can purchase the “big tub” initially for $20.00 and then enjoy $4.00 limitless refills for the rest of the year.
What are your tips for families to save money at the movies in Des Moines?