It’s that time of year when all of the big summer blockbusters are in the theaters and the kids are asking to go to a movie every other day. We enjoy going to the movies as a family and love catching the latest flick when we can. We recently went to Inside Out and by the time we bought four tickets, popcorn and drinks, a whopping $60 bucks was drained from the old bank account. Ouch! So, that got me to thinking about how we can save money going to the movies. With a little research and a little planning it is possible to lower the cost of a movie. Here is 15 ways for families to save money at the movies.
- Join the theater’s reward program. Rewards programs provide special offers and credit towards FREE movies and snacks. Find rewards program information for Carmike Theater Rewards and the Cinemark App on their websites. Fridley Theatres offers a FREE popcorn for signing up for their newsletter.
- Follow your favorite theater on social media. Many theaters post discounts on their Facebook page and other social media outlets.
- Go to a daytime screening or matinee. Head to the theater before 5:00 pm and you’ll find ticket prices much cheaper than a weekend night ticket.
- Go to the movies on Tuesdays. Both Carmike and Cinemark Theaters offer Tuesday night ticket discounts. Check websites for participating theaters. Fridley Theatres offer a FREE 46 oz. popcorn every Tuesday with each paid admission.
- Attend a FREE Outdoor Summer Movie. Several area communities and organizations show outdoor movies during the summer months and most of the movies are pretty recent. Check out our post FREE Outdoor Movies 4 Kids and Families in Des Moines for a list of showings.
- Buy Tickets at the Box Office. Yes, it’s more convenient to buy on-line and you’re guaranteed a seat, but you’re also paying for that convenience with an added fee.
- Catch a second run movie. If you don’t mind seeing a movie after it’s been in the theaters awhile you can catch a late run movie, which are usually discounted. Flix Brewhouse regularly shows second runs. Check their events tab to find out what they’re currently showing.
- Purchase Cinemark tickets with your AAA membership. Your AAA Membership Card saves you 50 cents per movie ticket. Tickets can be purchased through AAA on-line or at your local branch office.
- Purchase tickets with your membership club. Like everything else at Costco and Sam’s Club you do have to buy movie tickets in bulk. Cinemark Theatres Platinum Supersaver Movie E-Tickets 4-Pack currently cost $33.99 at Costco. You can also purchase six and ten packs. Present the e-ticket at any Cinemark box office nationwide for any movie any time.
- Show your ID and save. Many area movie theaters offer discounts to students, military personnel and seniors. You can receive a discount by just showing your ID.
- Take advantage of a theater’s summer movie program. Refer to our post Cheap Summer Movies 4 Kids in Des Moines to find participating theaters.
- Check with your employer. Some companies purchase movie tickets in bulk and then sell them to their employees at a discount. Be sure to check to see if your company is one that does.
- Look for movie tickets on discount and coupon sites. Sites like Fandango, DealFlicks, Groupon, Living Social and others offer discounted movie tickets.
- Share snacks. We buy a large popcorn and then divide it up for everyone in their own bag. You can use Ziplocs or I buy cute popcorn bags at the Dollar Tree and tote them along in my purse.
- Purchase the “big tub” at the beginning of the year. Many area theater chains offer a large plastic tub for popcorn. You can purchase the “big tub” initially for $20.00 and then enjoy $4.00 limitless refills for the rest of the year.
What are your tips for families to save money at the movies in Des Moines?