It’s a new year, and instead of making the same mundane resolutions that you never keep, why not resolve to do something fun, like buy cute kids’ clothes, drink coffee and eat hot dogs—all with your awesome family?!? If you like the sound of that, read on, because we’ve rounded up 20 fun-filled resolutions for Des Moines families that are guaranteed to make 2017 a year to remember.
1. Get together and give back by planning a family volunteer day.
2. Make a plan to visit 31 of Des Moines’ fabulous parks this year.
3. Start an unplugged family game night tradition.
4. Every once in a while, use your outside voices, INSIDE.
5. Set your sights on completing a race with your little training partner.
6. Round up your old toys and give them to someone who will love them.
7. Support Des Moines’ local kiddie clothing stores by scoring something cool from one of them.
8. Put a little culture in your life. Visit a local museum exhibit.
9. Go on a bike ride. The High Trestle Trail is an ideal place for a relaxing ride with the fam.
10. Let the kids putt around. Enjoy a few rounds of mini-golf as a family.
13. Go on a Story Walk and enjoy reading and the outdoors at the same time!
14. Indulge your sweet teeth at a sweets shop in Des Moines.
15. Start a book club with your little reader. Browse your local book store each month to pick a title.
16. Buy more toys!! (kids can stop reading right here)…from Des Moines area independent toy shops.
17. Eat more hot dogs. Local hot dog joints make it easy to find the All-American favorite.
18. Spend more time outside this winter. Try downhill skiing or cross country skiing together.
19. Enjoy a family date night once a month.
20. Clean out your closets and give your gently used items to another kiddo who really needs them.
Do you have any family resolutions you are hoping to keep in 2017? Tell us in the comments below!