Beggar’s Night and trick or treating tend to wrap up a lot of the Halloween festivities in Des Moines. So, what’s a true Halloween lover to do? Celebrate the spooky holiday with one of these 31 kooky and creative family friendly events or activities!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended. While clicking these links won’t cost you any extra money, they will help us keep this site up and running! Thank you for your support!
Here’s 31 Family Friendly Things to Do on Halloween in Des Moines:
- Wear your costumes and trick or treat with Waukee Parks & Recreation during Tot Lot.
- Visit a pumpkin patch.
- Put on your favorite costume and join the West Des Moines Public Library for not-too-spooky stories and Halloween fun.
- Break out the Ouija Board for some spooky fun.
- Take your pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns to the Science Center of Iowa and toss them off their terrace during Pumpkin Plunge.
- Get your fright on at Linn’s Haunted House.
- Grab some ghoulishly good goodies at Beaverdale Confections.
- Celebrate Halloween at the Southside Library during their Teen Halloween Bash!
- Create Halloween themed crafts together.
- Go trick-or-treating and join in a costume parade during Bass Pro Shops Halloween Celebration.
- See “Coco” at Century 20 Jordan Creek and XD when it’s back in theatres for a limited time.
- Make s’mores and tell ghost stories around a fire.
- Roast pumpkin seeds leftover from carving Jack-O-Lanterns.
- Attend Halloween on the Hill in the Sherman Hills Neighborhood.
- Eat a caramel apple from Chocolate Storybook.
- Trunk or Treat at St. Mark Lutheran Church in West Des Moines.
- Watch your favorite Halloween movie.
- Get scared silly at Sleepy Hollow Haunted Scream Park.
- Go trick-or-treating at the Outlets of Des Moines in Altoona.
- Throw a family friendly Halloween Party.
- Make a few Halloween treats with the kids’ trick-or-treat candy stash.
- Visit a real life haunted location in Iowa.
- Get lost in a corn maze.
- Bob for apples.
- Watch a horror movie on TV or Netflix.
- Grab a flashlight and go on a spooky night hike with friends and family.
- Read a Halloween book.
- Drink some hot apple cider from Dean’s Orchard (found at local grocery stores).
- Decorate a haunted gingerbread house.
- Visit a cemetery. Do a gravestone rubbing. Visit family graves.
- Conduct some pumpkin science experiments.
How do you celebrate Halloween on October 31st in Des Moines? We want to hear!
Find even more Halloween events and activities in our Halloween Fun Guide.