Fall is just around the corner, and Des Moines is the perfect place to be when the season turns. Whatever makes fall one of your favorite seasons, we’re highlighting 50+ special things in the Des Moines area perfect for fall family fun. Whether it’s a colorful leafy outdoor adventure or the perfect indoor place to be on a rainy fall afternoon, there’s an activity for everyone in the family. Start filling your calendar now with these 50+ amazing things to do with your kiddos this fall in Des Moines.
Here are 50 Fall Fun Ideas 4 Kids+Families in Des Moines!
- Spend a day at a local apple orchard going apple picking and shopping for homemade goodies.
- Visit the Science Center of Iowa on $5 Family Night, the second Friday of the month. While there check out the new Tyrannosaurs: Meet the Family exhibit.
- Hit up an outdoor farmers’ market while you still can.
- Bundle up on those breezy fall days and visit a local park for a little outdoor adventure.
- Go on an art walk in downtown Des Moines.
- Visit a local pumpkin patch to pick up some pumpkins, take a hay ride or get lost in a corn maze.
- Check out the trails at the Keuhn Nature Preserve for a fall hike.
- Buy tickets and ride the rails with Thomas on the Boone Scenic and Valley Railroad.
- Try to get in one last round of mini golf before the courses close for the season.
- Rake a big pile of leaves and jump in!
- Learn about Iowa’s rich aviation history at a local museum.
- Enjoy beer, bratz, bands and weiner dog races, when you celebrate Oktoberfest, family-style in Iowa.
- Start planning your day or two off from school this fall in Des Moines.
- Walk the grounds of the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden. Or explore inside the dome.
- Go leaf peeping and enjoy the fall colors at a local park in Central Iowa.
- Schedule these fall festivals for some extra autumnal excitement!
- Test your wits and get spooked at the annual Waukee Haunted House.
- Take a day trip to Beaverdale or celebrate at their annual Fall Festival.
- Rake leaves for an elderly relative or neighbor.
- Keep your eyes peeled for Halloween in Uptown – the perfect combo of trick or treating, shopping and uptown’ing in Ankeny.
- Spend some quality time this fall with your tween or teen.
- Buy a pumpkin spice latte or other favorite fall treat.
- Visit you favorite local book store and find a good read to share with your little ones.
- Try out one of our top 10 recommendations of things to do this September in Des Moines.
- If you have a fall baby, host an apple themed birthday party for them.
- Go on an outdoor scavenger hunt.
- Hit the wall and go rock climbing.
- Mix up your usual routine and schedule a fun fall play date.
- Whether you’re watching baseball at the end of the season, or football at the beginning, celebrate both with a hot dog.
- Make family time a little more meaningful.
- Plan some fall football viewing and tailgating fun with friends.
- Boo your neighbor by surprising them with a few Halloween treats.
- Take the family to try their hand at archery at a range in Des Moines.
- Take a day trip and do a little shopping and sightseeing in Valley Junction, the East Village or the Shops at Roosevelt.
- Make a donation to help out after the hurricanes in Texas and Florida.
36. Experience the Brenton Arboretum in a whole new light during a Family Night Hike. – Sept. 22nd
37. See a movie under the stars in Centennial Park in Waukee – Sept. 22nd
38. Spend the afternoon in Living History Farms’ 1875 town celebrating all things apple at Applefest. – Sept. 23rd
39. Spend a fun weekend discovering new and exciting ways to enjoy Iowa’s outdoors at Iowa Outdoor Expo for Kids and Families. – Sept. 23rd & 24th
40. Schedule a date night, Pump it Up is hosting Parent’s Night Out – Sept. 30th
41. Kids can go Fishing with a Firefighter in Johnston – Oct. 7th
42. Hockey season shoves off with the Iowa Wild and Des Moines Buccaneers back on the ice. – Oct. 7th
43. Gather treats throughout the Blank Park Zoo during Night Eyes – Oct. 19-22 & 26-29
44. Kids can be royally good for a cause at Children & Families of Iowa Princess Party – Oct. 21st
45. Put on your running tights for the Superhero/Princess 5K and Kids Fun Run – Oct. 21st
46. Join the Neal Smith Wildlife Refuge for Nature Tots. This month’s topic is Prairie Seed Harvest. – Nov. 4th
47.Cheer on the newly named Iowa Wolves basketball team at their home opener. – Nov. 4th
48. Area teens, grades 6 through 12, can meet up at the Des Moines Playhouse for Second Saturday – Nov. 11th
49. Be a detective and explore historic objects during Goldie’s Kids Club: History Mystery. – Nov. 18th
50. Prepare to be amazed when Lance Burton Master Magician & Friends perform on the Civic Center stage. – Nov. 25th
Bonus: Search for even more fun things to do with your family this fall on our Events Calendar!
What’s on your must-do Fall list this year? Share your ideas with us in the comments section below.