Tree lined streets, the famous Beaverdale brick homes, a great shopping district and a host of fun community events…can you think of a better way to spend a fall day than in Beaverdale? As one of Des Moines’ most vibrant neighborhoods, Beaverdale has a “small town feel”, but with all of the amenities of the City. A day trip to this charming community will be peppered with fun pit stops with a day of shopping and dining at unique locally owned businesses. Read on for a few of our tips to enjoying a day trip to Beaverdale.
Family Friendly Shopping in Beaverdale:
- Back Country Outfitters – this adventurous specialty shop offers a full range of outdoor clothing and equipment.
- Beaverdale Bicycles – a friendly neighborhood bike shop that specializes in customer service, affordable bikes and reliable repairs and service.
- Beaverdale Books – a quaint locally owned bookshop. They also host several events like “Book Launch”, “Meet the Author”, “Writer’s Group”, book clubs and “Storybook Time”.
- Beaverdale Confections – a gourmet chocolate and candy store where they make everything fresh in house. You can also purchase their sweet treats on-line.
- Uptempo Music – this brick and mortar music store sells musical instruments and related equipment and accessories.
Where to Eat with the Kids in Beaverdale:
- Christoper’s – specializing in Italian-American cuisine this longtime Beaverdale restaurant continues to delight diners with such fare as Fettuccine Gorgonzola and Olive Chicken.
- Michael’s Pizza – a neighborhood tradition, Michael’s has been serving up pizza and pasta at lunch and dinner for 40 years in Beaverdale.
- Rice Bowl – stop by here when you’re craving Chinese cuisine. They specialize in delicious Cantonese dishes for lunch and dinner.
- Snookies – yet another Beaverdale institution, grab your favorite ice cream concoction and don’t forget to get a cone for your pup.
- GoodSons – a local neighborhood watering hole that serves up great drinks and pub food and serves as a local gathering place.
Attractions in Beaverdale:
- Ashby Park – located at 200 38th Street, Ashby park boasts several wonderful amenities including play equipment, tennis courts and Des Moines’ most highly attended splash pool.
- Centennial Mural – pictured in the featured photo above, the Beaverdale Centennial Committee commissioned local artist and mural specialist Ben Schuh, to create this mural in honor of the community’s centennial. It’s located on the side of Uptempo Music and makes for a great photo op.
Annual Community Events in Beaverdale:
- Beaverdale Fall Festival – held annually, the third week in September, Beaverdale’s Fall Festival incorporates all the ingredients for an exciting family friendly happening. Complete with parade, vendors, teen dance, live music and fireworks and much, much more!
- Farmers’ Market – find great vendors, live music, good food, friends, family and neighbors at the Beaverdale Farmers’ Market. It’s held on Tuesday nights early June through mid-September.
- Shop Hop – held on the first Saturday of December, Shop Hop gets you in the holiday spirit and highlights Beaverdale’s retail stores and restaurants. Entertainment and activities vary year-to-year.
This is just a small sampling of what Beaverdale has to offer. For additional information about the neighborhood visit Beaverdale Neighborhood Association’s website.
What are your tips for a day trip to Beaverdale?