The Historic East Village is a favorite destination for out of town visitors and locals alike. A day of shopping and dining at this hip eclectic enclave is a Des Moines trademark. If you’re looking to entertain visitors or spend a day with the family near the East Village and you’re looking for fun to round out the day, these are some of our favorite tips.
5 Attractions to Enjoy Near the East Village:
- Brenton Skating Plaza – Outdoor ice skating rink open daily mid-November to March.
- Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden – A public garden in the heart of Des Moines known for its iconic geodesic conservatory which features tropical and desert plants.
- Iowa State Capitol – FREE Admission and tours are given on the half hour.
- State Historical Museum – FREE Admission features permanent and traveling exhibits and Museum Treks on Saturdays.
- Simon Estes Amphitheater – Hosts a wide variety of community events such as fun runs, bike rides, and concerts, including the Nitefall on the River Concert Series.
A Few East Village Tips:
- Some of our favorite East Village Shops are Domestica, RAYGUN, Ephemera Stationary Studio, Kitchen Collage and Jett & Monkey’s.
- Allspice Cullinarium sells spices and oils from around the world with samples available to taste before making your purchase.
- Scenic Route Bakery is a great place to take a shopping break for a coffee or adult beverage.
- Zombie Burger and Molly’s Cupcakes are some of the more kid friendly dining options.
- Watch the Historic East Village Events Calendar for concerts, events, and the annual Holiday Promenade.
- Embassy Suites Des Moines Downtown is located near the east village and makes a nice hub for a little family getaway or staycation.
What are your tips for a day trip to the Historic East Village?