Make your July 4th menu extra fun and festive this year. We’ve searched from sea to shining sea for the best red, white and blue recipes—from a wowza watermelon pizza to a refreshing corn salsa and American pride pork chops. You’ll go out with a bang when you serve up these palate-pleasing dishes at your patriotic party.
All American Appetizer – Corn Salsa by Iowa Choice Harvest
1 package Iowa Choice Harvest Golden Sweet Corn
1 – 4 oz can chopped green chiles
1 – 2.5 oz can sliced black olives, drained
4 green onions – minced
2 tomatoes – chopped
3 tbsp white vinegar
1/3 C olive oil
1 tbsp cilantro – finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook corn as directed on package, drain well. Mix corn with all ingredients except cilantro and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Stir in cilantro just before serving.
Patriotic Main Dish – American Pride Pork Chop by Fareway
4 bone-in loin pork chops, 1-inch thick
2 tsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
1/2 tsp allspice, ground
1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Combine the brown sugar, salt, pepper, allspice, and thyme leaves in a small bowl.
- Rub both sides of pork chops with herb mixture. Let stand 15 to 30 minutes. Discard any remaining herb mixture.
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in grill. Pat pork chops dry while being careful not to remove the rub.
- Grill chops, over direct heat, turning once, to medium rare doneness about 4-5 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 145°F, followed by a 3-minute rest time.
Star-Spangled Dessert – Watermelon Fruit Pizza by Hy-Vee from Seasons
1 cup thawed Hy-Vee frozen whipped topping
1/4 cup Hy-Vee vanilla Greek yogurt
3 cups assorted fresh fruit, such as blueberries, sliced strawberries, raspberries and/or sliced peaches
1 (1-inch thick) slice medium seedless watermelon
Fresh mint, for garnish
Hy-Vee honey, optional
- In a medium bowl, combine whipped topping and yogurt. Spread onto watermelon slice. Top with fruit. Cut into wedges. If desired, garnish with mint and drizzle with honey.
What’s on the menu for your family’s festive 4th of July celebration? We’d love to hear!