Before heading out to celebrate the 4th of July, take a moment to set some ground rules to ensure your kids will be safe around fireworks. Thousands of adults, teens and children are treated for firework-related injuries in emergency rooms every year.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, although some parents consider sparklers to be “safe fireworks,” they caused 41% of firework related injuries in 2013. They can reach temperatures of 1,200 degrees and easily ignite clothing.
Here are some firework safety tips from the National Safety Council.
If fireworks are legal to buy where you live and you choose to use them, be sure to follow the following safety tips:
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks
- Older children should use them only under close adult supervision
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear
- Never light them indoors
- Only use them away from people, houses and flammable material
- Only light one device at a time and maintain a safe distance after lighting
- Never ignite devices in a container
- Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks
- Soak unused fireworks in water for a few hours before discarding
- Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don’t go off or in case of fire
Better yet, grab a blanket and a patch of lawn, kick back and let the experts handle the show.
More information about fireworks safety can be found at: http://www.nsc.org/learn/safety-knowledge/Pages/news-and-resources-fireworks-safety.aspx.
Please be safe this 4th of July holiday and teach your children the dangers of fireworks.