With the whirlwind of summer activities and the kids out of school, we often forget about giving back this time of year. Variety – the Children’s Charity of Iowa would like to remind you that they have several volunteer opportunities for people of all ages happening this summer and beyond.
About Variety – the Children’s Charity of Iowa
Variety- the Children’s Charity of Iowa is dedicated to improving the lives of underprivileged, at-risk and special needs children throughout the state. Since the inception of the Telethon in 1975, Variety has raised more than $110 million to support the children of Iowa.
Variety is making a better future for our community by connecting people who care to programs that enable children to reach their full potential. Variety is helping create opportunities for children to fully share in the experiences of life.
Variety works with donors and supporters to fund and deliver effective programs and provide grants to support their mission. Variety’s initiatives focus on five programs;
- Grant Program – Variety provides funding to more than 90 nonprofit children’s organizations annually for tangible items such as building expansions and renovations, equipment, programming needs and more. In 2016, Variety granted $2.2 million to 58 central Iowa children’s organizations. A complete list can be found here.
- Bikes for Kids – Every child deserves to ride. Bikes for Kids provides custom specialized bikes to children with special needs and also allows Variety to award more than 1,500 brand new bikes, locks and helmets to children who have never experienced the joy of owning their own bike.
- Variety Vans – Over the last 40 years, more than 400 Variety Vans have been provided to children’s organizations in Iowa. These vans transport children to doctors appointments, therapy sessions and special outings or activities.
- Variety Star Playgrounds– All children should have the opportunity to experience a playground! Variety is working with Iowa communities to provide all-inclusive playgrounds for children with and without special needs. Variety completed its first all-inclusive playground in Des Moines in 2014 and is in the process of building its second playground in Cedar Rapids.
- The Compassion Fund – Variety partners with Iowa hospitals to help critically ill children and their families by providing comfort, care and fulfilling immediate needs. The Fund is designed to help alleviate the stress and financial burden a family faces while their child is hospitalized.
Upcoming Events & Volunteer Opportunities
Variety- the Children’s Charity depends on the generosity and goodwill of people who devote their time and energies to helping children. Below are Variety’s current volunteer opportunities.
July 8, 2017: Color Run
Also known as The Happiest 5k on the Planet, you can chuck color and make people smile. Variety is seeking 200 volunteers to set up, tear down, throw color, check in, clean up, hand out water, and give out t-shirts.
July 15, 2017: Polo on the Green
The ultimate summer soirée featuring a live polo match, dinner, auction and dancing. Volunteers are needed to assist with parking, raffle, set up, tear down and auction.
September 7, 2017: Variety Stag
This is a casual, outdoor event that includes cocktails, steak dinner, door prizes and an auction. Stag is a men’s only event focused on hunting, fishing and golf. Volunteers (including women) are needed to assist with stuffing bags, set up, parking, and tear down.
Multiple Dates: Mascot
Be the Mascot! You and a friend can be Stanley J. Heart! Wear the uniform with pride – give hugs, give high fives, pose for pictures, and do a little dance. Have some fun with this unique opportunity. You will need a friend or assistant to help guide you as it is hard to see in the uniform. This is volunteer opportunity is on a TBD basis. Please let Tiffany Luing know if you are interested.
505 5th Avenue, Suite 310
Des Moines IA 50309-2998
Phone: (515) 243-4660
What does your family do to give back during the summer?
Variety Iowa is part of Variety- the Children’s Charity International, a partnership of more than 44 Variety chapters, each helping local children and families in 13 countries around the world. Together the Variety chapters positively impact more than 100,000 individual children through direct programs, and many more through grants to children’s organization, each year.