Summer can be a mixed blessing. On the upside, more sunny days for the kids and lots of outdoor activities. On the downside, uncomfortably hot summer days and pricey indoor activities. To beat the heat, but not your wallet, dsm4kids has come up with a list of 15 low priced or FREE activities to keep you and the kids COOL and busy this summer.
Here’s how to beat the heat this summer in Des Moines:
- Take a trip to a local lake! Nothing beats the heat like a day on the water.
- Get soaked at a local splash park or sprayground.
- Take the family canoeing or kayaking, and perhaps play a friendly game of tip the boat if you really need to cool off.
- Snack on some cool treats, like ice cream. We’ve got some great lists here, here, here and here.
- Jump into one of Des Moines’ many public pools and aquatic centers.
- Get underground! Nothing beats the heat like exploring a cool local cave.
- If the kids are already bouncing off the walls, head to one of the many bounce house and trampoline parks in the surrounding area.
- Go bowling with the family. You may work up a sweat but at least it’s air conditioned!
- Sign up for your local library’s summer reading program or attend a fun FREE event. They have cool fun going on all season long.
- If your goal is to get wet without getting a sunburn, check out a local indoor pool in Urbandale or Johnston.
- The Des Moines Art Center is always well worth the visit. It’s a cool way to learn about and explore art together.
- Attend a summer movie series at a local theater. Sit back and relax in the air-conditioning while you all enjoy a family-friendly film.
- Plan a trip to a destination water park.
- Skip the stove and dine at a “kids-eat-FREE” restaurant.
- See a movie under the stars. Enjoy the evening breeze while you watch a FREE outdoor movie.
How do you beat the heat with your kids in Des Moines? We’d love to hear!