Find a list of 2019 fall activities here.
Fall is just around the corner, and Des Moines is the perfect place to be when the season turns. Whatever makes fall one of your favorite seasons, we’re highlighting 50+ special things in the Des Moines area perfect for fall family fun. Whether it’s a colorful leafy outdoor adventure or the perfect indoor place to be on a rainy fall afternoon, there’s an activity for everyone in the family. Start filling your calendar now with these 50+ amazing things to do with your kiddos this fall in Des Moines.
Here are 50 Fall Fun Ideas 4 Kids+Families in Des Moines!
- Spend a day at a local apple orchard going apple picking and shopping for homemade goodies.
- Visit the Science Center of Iowa on $5 Family Night, the second Friday of the month. While there check out the new Tyrannosaurs: Meet the Family exhibit.
- Hit up an outdoor farmers’ market while you still can.
- Bundle up on those breezy fall days and visit a local park for a little outdoor adventure.
- Go on an art walk in downtown Des Moines.
- Visit a local pumpkin patch to pick up some pumpkins, take a hay ride or get lost in a corn maze.
- Check out the trails at the Keuhn Nature Preserve for a fall hike.
- Buy tickets and ride the rails with Thomas on the Boone Scenic and Valley Railroad.
- Try to get in one last round of mini golf before the courses close for the season.
- Rake a big pile of leaves and jump in!
- Learn about Iowa’s rich aviation history at a local museum.
- Enjoy beer, bratz, bands and weiner dog races, when you celebrate Oktoberfest, family-style in Iowa.
- Start planning your day or two off from school this fall in Des Moines.
- Walk the grounds of the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden. Or explore inside the dome.
- Go leaf peeping and enjoy the fall colors at a local park in Central Iowa.
- Schedule these fall festivals for some extra autumnal excitement!
- Test your wits and get spooked at the annual Waukee Haunted House.
- Take a day trip to Beaverdale or celebrate at their annual Fall Festival.
- Rake leaves for an elderly relative or neighbor.
- Keep your eyes peeled for Halloween in Uptown – the perfect combo of trick or treating, shopping and uptown’ing in Ankeny.
- Spend some quality time this fall with your tween or teen.
- Buy a pumpkin spice latte or other favorite fall treat.
- Visit you favorite local book store and find a good read to share with your little ones.
- Try out one of our top 10 recommendations of things to do this September in Des Moines.
- If you have a fall baby, host an apple themed birthday party for them.
- Go on an outdoor scavenger hunt.
- Hit the wall and go rock climbing.
- Mix up your usual routine and schedule a fun fall play date.
- Whether you’re watching baseball at the end of the season, or football at the beginning, celebrate both with a hot dog.
- Make family time a little more meaningful.
- Plan some fall football viewing and tailgating fun with friends.
- Boo your neighbor by surprising them with a few Halloween treats.
- Take the family to try their hand at archery at a range in Des Moines.
- Take a day trip and do a little shopping and sightseeing in Valley Junction, the East Village or the Shops at Roosevelt.
- Make a donation to help out after the hurricanes in Texas and Florida.
36. Experience the Brenton Arboretum in a whole new light during a Family Night Hike. – Sept. 22nd
37. See a movie under the stars in Centennial Park in Waukee – Sept. 22nd
38. Spend the afternoon in Living History Farms’ 1875 town celebrating all things apple at Applefest. – Sept. 23rd
39. Spend a fun weekend discovering new and exciting ways to enjoy Iowa’s outdoors at Iowa Outdoor Expo for Kids and Families. – Sept. 23rd & 24th
40. Schedule a date night, Pump it Up is hosting Parent’s Night Out – Sept. 30th
41. Kids can go Fishing with a Firefighter in Johnston – Oct. 7th
42. Hockey season shoves off with the Iowa Wild and Des Moines Buccaneers back on the ice. – Oct. 7th
43. Gather treats throughout the Blank Park Zoo during Night Eyes – Oct. 19-22 & 26-29
44. Kids can be royally good for a cause at Children & Families of Iowa Princess Party – Oct. 21st
45. Put on your running tights for the Superhero/Princess 5K and Kids Fun Run – Oct. 21st
46. Join the Neal Smith Wildlife Refuge for Nature Tots. This month’s topic is Prairie Seed Harvest. – Nov. 4th
47.Cheer on the newly named Iowa Wolves basketball team at their home opener. – Nov. 4th
48. Area teens, grades 6 through 12, can meet up at the Des Moines Playhouse for Second Saturday – Nov. 11th
49. Be a detective and explore historic objects during Goldie’s Kids Club: History Mystery. – Nov. 18th
50. Prepare to be amazed when Lance Burton Master Magician & Friends perform on the Civic Center stage. – Nov. 25th
Bonus: Search for even more fun things to do with your family this fall on our Events Calendar!
What’s on your must-do Fall list this year? Share your ideas with us in the comments section below.