Mother’s Day is Sunday, May 10, 2020, and mothers everywhere deserve to have a great day!!! Even it is at home! Celebrations of any kind are a little tricky right now. But, we’ve pulled together a few ideas, that would be great even in the best of times, for you to celebrate the mothers in your life – yourself included, if you’re a mom – despite coronavirus restrictions.
Here’s a few ways you can make Mother’s Day special at home this year:
Celebrating Moms at Home
- A tried-and-true classic: Breakfast in Bed. Make mom feel like she’s in a five-star hotel with an indulgent experience! Here’s a pancake recipe from Real Food 4 Kids that even little chefs can make.
- Order a special meal at home from mom’s favorite restaurant. Nothing says “we love you” like a cooking- and cleaning-free day! Here’s a list of restaurants offering family meals for delivery or carry out in the Des Moines area, if you need a place to start.
- Offer mom some time alone to soak in a tub, read a book or take a nap (or all three!).
- Get mom her new favorite book. Beaverdale Books is still taking orders. They offer curbside pickup or will ship.
- Brighten mom’s day with a fresh bouquet of flowers. There are a lot of fabulous local floral shops in Des Moines to help you out with that. Here are just a few: Plaza Florist, Wild Orchid and Pepperharrow Farm.
- Or kick the flower game up a notch and get out in the garden together! Many garden centers are offering curbside pickup, including Canoyer Garden Center and Goode Greenhouses.
- Get outside and visit a beautiful garden or arboretum in Central Iowa.
- Set up a salon at home for a much needed mani/pedi. Not sure where to start? Here are 10 steps to getting the perfect manicure at home.
- Host game or puzzle night – let mom pick! Learning Post & Toys has all kinds of games and puzzles to choose from that you can pick up curbside.
- Host an at-home wine and canvas night! The wine’s just for parents, of course. Pinot’s Palette is offering Virtual Classes. Visit their website and check out their calendar of events.
- Bake something sweet together. The Kitchen Collage has some great brownie recipes over on their website.
- Pick up a craft kit from Bulldog Ceramics for mom to work on at home.
- Have the kids make a special keepsake craft. Artfull offers some great kid friendly craft kits and is taking orders for delivery.
- Have a family picnic on the living room floor with mom’s favorite foods. Perhaps a meat and cheese plate from The Cheese Bar?
- Be mom’s bartender with a DIY cocktail bar. Lots of local breweries and bars – like Confluence and Hello Marjorie are offering curbside pickup.
- Is the mom in your home a fan of the arts? Give her some time to enjoy some art virtually. The Des Moines Art Center has put together virtual tours of their exhibits.
- Hire a local photographer for a porch session to help document the quarantined Mother’s Day. Local photographer Gina K Photography has been taking lots of porch pics.
- Buy mom a salon or spa gift card – they will reopen again, we know it! Call to purchase at Art of Life Salon, The Spa at West Glen or East Village Spa.
- Is there a local shop that mom loves but can’t currently visit? Chances are they’re selling gift cards. Do some poking around and gift mom a virtual shopping spree at a shop you know she’ll love. Some great local boutiques are Preservation, Silver Fox, and MoMere.
Celebrating Moms From a Distance
- Write and mail a letter. USPS is not canceled (yet).
- Find a recipe you both love and set up a call to virtually bake or cook together.
- Order and send a customized puzzle with a photo of you together or even a collage of baby pictures. University Photos has several photo gifts you can choose from.
- Host a fancy virtual tea hour. Wear your best hat and accessories and enjoy crustless sandwiches and fancy cups and saucers.
- Not a tea person, set aside time to have a virtual coffee hour.
- Find a local florist in mom’s community and send flowers! (We listed a few above;)
- Have the grandkids make a special craft and stick it in the mail for a special mail surprise.
- Put that DIY cocktail bar to use and have a virtual happy hour.
- Create and send a playlist of songs that remind you of your mom. Perhaps add in tech support if you anticipate mom needing a little help.
- Participate in a virtual wine tasting together. Winefest Des Moines along with local restaurants have been hosting virtual wine tastings. Watch their Facebook Page for future events.
- Send mom a sweet video message on Mother’s Day or just give her a call on the phone.
- And of course, you can always order a gift online. Discover what central Iowa businesses have to offer at Shop Where I Live, an online e-commerce website that is your one-stop shop for all things local.
How will you be celebrating Mother’s Day this year? Inspire us…we’d love to hear!