I don’t know about you, but I’m always on the look out for clever gift ideas that are NOT toys or “stuff”. So, last year when I stumbled upon the idea of an “Adventure Box” mentioned in a Facebook post, I fell in love with the concept! Of course, when I set out to find said FB post to write this article, I can’t seem to track it down, so to the best of my ability I will try to relay the basics of the concept to you. If you’re looking for an “in-the-box” gift idea to give your kids this Christmas read on.
Ideas for a Des Moines Adventure Box:
Your family’s next big adventure awaits!
The concept of the Adventure Box – a box containing 12 envelopes that are labeled for each month of the year and are filled with pre-planned and pre-paid (if possible) “dates” for you and your loved ones. Once everything is assembled, each envelope will contain everything your family needs to enjoy a monthly activity.
The gift of family time!
One month it’s bowling, another month it’s movie tickets. There’s spending money for a day at Adventureland and tickets to an I-Cubs baseball game. Whatever interests your family.
But here’s the kicker – the kids don’t open every envelope on Christmas Day. They open one envelope on the first day of each month, meaning every month they get a surprise and a family adventure! What a great way to bring the family together, not just for Christmas, but for every month of the year!
Here’s a few outing ideas for those envelopes:
When trying to decide on a monthly activity, keep in mind that you don’t need to break the bank. There are several fun FREE outings that would make a great family adventure in Des Moines.
- Go sledding and out for cocoa.
- Go ice skating.
- Go downhill skiing or tubing.
- Go cross-country skiing or snowshoeing.
- Go ice fishing.
- Go eagle watching.
- Go for a sleigh ride at Jester Park Equestrian Center.
- Cheer on the Iowa Wild at a Hockey Game.
- Cheer on the Iowa Wolves at a Basketball Game.
- Cheer on the Drake Men’s or Women’s Basketball Teams.
- Visit the Art Center.
- Visit the Science Center of Iowa.
- Visit the State Historical Museum of Iowa.
- Take in a show presented by Des Moines Performing Arts.
- Attend a Des Moines Symphony Concert.
- Go stargazing.
- Go for a bike ride.
- Go bowling.
- Go roller-skating.
- Play paintball.
- Play laser tag.
- Visit an Escape Chamber.
- Visit Climb Iowa.
- Visit the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden.
- Visit the Blank Park Zoo.
- Take a cooking class.
- Cheer on the Iowa Barnstormers at a Football game.
- See a show at the Des Moines Playhouse.
- See a show at Hoyt Sherman Place.
- Attend the Drake Relays.
- Go swimming.
- Go fishing.
- Try paddle boarding or kayaking.
- Go camping.
- Play mini-golf.
- Attend a local Farmers’ Market.
- Go to an outdoor concert.
- Attend a summer festival.
- Go to a movie.
- See a show at CAP Theatre.
- Go to Adventureland.
- Visit Living History Farms.
- Pick Strawberries.
- Go to the Iowa State Fair.
- Cheer on the I-Cubs at a baseball game.
- Visit a pumpkin patch.
- Pick apples.
- Go for a hike.
- Go geocaching.
- Go on a horseback ride.
- Go on a train ride at the Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad.
- Participate in a fun run.
- Attend a concert at the Iowa Events Center.
- Visit a haunted house.
- Attend a show at Ankeny Community Theatre.
- Attend a college football game.
- Take an art class.
- Attend the Renaissance Festival.
- Visit Reiman Gardens.
What do you think? Do you like the idea of an “Adventure Box”?